1. A fire alarm was activated in the Sigma Chi Fraternity House on Saturday, Sept. 3, at 7:34 p.m., according to UR Security Investigator Daniel Lafferty.
The alarm went off because of spray painting happening in the house at the time, and it was reset after the Rochester Fire Department made sure the area was safe. Before leaving they noticed a number of black garbage bags hanging from the walls and ceilings. A member of the house was advised to take the bags down because they were fire hazards.
Property stolen from vehicles
2. Two vehicles, one parked across from Schlegel Hall and the other near Hutchinson Rd. on Wilson Blvd., were broken into between 12 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 2, and 10:21 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 4.
According to Lafferty, both vehicles had their windows broken. Two GPS units were reported stolen along with an iPod Nano.
Thief strikes at UR
3. A student reported that his wallet, which held cash and credit cards, was stolen from his desk on the fourth floor of Gilbert Hall on Sept. 4 between 8:10 and 8:40 a.m. while he was asleep, according to Lafferty.
Officers were told at the scene that the door to his room had been left open when the student’s roommate left the room. The student was told to contact the 311 information line and file a police report.
Individual might have
committed unknown crime
4. An individual was spotted by two students kneeling between two bikes parked at a bike rack outside of Lovejoy Hall on Sept. 3 at 5:30 p.m. According to Lafferty, the individual proceeded to put something into his backpack before leaving the area after one of the students yelled at him from the Community Learning Center in an attempt to attract his attention.
After leaving, the individual walked towards the residential quad. Officers checked the immediate and surrounding areas but only found a cable lock with fresh cut marks.
Unwanted visitors at Eastman
5. Two unidentified individuals were spotted at the Eastman School Complex on Sept. 2, according to Lafferty.
The first was seen in the main hall at 10:44 a.m. and the second was observed drinking on a bench at 2:09 p.m. in the Eastman Place Courtyard. Both individuals had no University affiliation and were issued ban forms.
Multiple cars suffer break-ins
6. Eight cars parked in Wilson North Lot were broken into between 11 and 11:40 p.m. on Sept. 2. According to Lafferty, in seven out of the eight cases the front passenger or driver’s side window had been smashed in, and the eighth had a vent window broken on the driver’s side.
Property was reported stolen from seven of the eight cars. Three students have notified the police. Several CDs were later found in the bed of another students’ truck and were returned to the victim.
Bowl of oil ignites fire
7. A small fire was started after a bowl of oil was ignited when a stove burner was turned on in Wilson Commons on Sept. 3 at 8:54 a.m, according to Lafferty.
A staff member turned off the stove and extinguished the flames, and the Rochester Fire Department responded after a fire alarm was activated. The area was subsequently ventilated, and the system was reset. No damages or injuries were sustained.
Goldin is a member of
the class of 2013.