President Joel Seligman, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Jonathan Burdick, and UR Medical Center Vice President and Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director Peter Robinson, welcomed veteran students, faculty, and staff to celebrate the opening of the new Veteran and Military Family Service Office in Wallis Hall on Tuesday Nov. 11.

The main goal of the Veteran and Military Services Office is to provide support to veterans through a successful transition from military life to the classroom. VA-certified officials will help military students use supplemental programs like the Yellow Ribbon Program.

The Yellow Ribbon Program, implemented in 2009, is designed to help students with up to 100 percent of the out-of-pocket tuition and fees that may exceed GI Bill tuition benefits.

The office will be staffed by two full-time Veterans Association-certified officials and will serve as a liaison between veterans and a number of services provided across campus.

In a press release, Dean Burdick stated that there has been a 50 percent increase of veteran students since 2010. “Currently there are 84 veteran students enrolled at the University,” Burdick said. Dean Burdick also noted that the numbers are expected to increase as more post-9/11 veterans return to civilian life.

“We are proud to now provide veterans at the University with a centralized resource to better help them navigate the educational system and success after graduation,” Burdick said.

The new office is located in Room 107 of Wallis Hall.

Teitelman is a member of 

the class of 2015.

Notes by Nadia: The myth of summer vacation

Summer vacation is no longer a vacation.

A reality in fiction: the problem of representation

Oftentimes, rather than embracing femininity as part of who they are, these characters only retain traditionally masculine traits.