Cuyler J Gauthier, Sports Editor

UR senior middle blocker Alma Guevara, from Van Nuys, Calif., had an outstanding weekend as the women’s volleyball team went 4-0 at a tournament hosted by Rochester Institute of Technology on Friday, Sept. 14 and Saturday, Sept. 15. On her way to being named to the All-Tournament Team, Guevara had a remarkable 46 kills.

What’s your major?

Brain and cognitive sciences (BCS).

When did you start playing volleyball?

I started playing when I was in second grade in gym class.  Then I continued in middle school, where I learned about club volleyball. Then I played for my varsity team in high school.

How do you feel when you are playing?

In the beginning I am a little bit nervous, but also excited.  After the first few points, however, I calm down and focus.

Who helped you get where you are today?

My parents were extremely helpful to me. They were great for academic and athletic support when I needed it.

What’s your favorite thing about UR?

The campus. It is very beautiful and it’s the first thing I notice when I am here. Also, I love the fact that I can study BCS. It is something that is not offered in a lot of schools, and I am glad that I can do that here.

What was your favorite highlight from this weekend’s tournament?

In one of the matches (against Medaille College) we won a game 25-6. But, their six points came off our mistakes. In other words, they did not win a point unless we gave it to them. It was a great game.

If you didn’t play volleyball, what sport would you play?

Ping pong. I love to play it!

Do you have any superstitions or pre-game rituals?

Yes, I have a few. I have two pairs of my “favorite” socks, and I can only wear those when I’m playing. In addition, I must listen to music before the game, and it can only be hip-hop. My other superstition is that my hair must be in a braid the same way every time.

What are your post-college goals?

Hopefully I can get a job doing research somewhere and eventually go to graduate school.

Davis is a member of the class of 2016. 

Art and creativity are in everything we do

Art is integrated into almost everything we do, whether we know it or not, influencing the ways in which we go about our day.

Colin’s Review Rundown: English Teacher, Imminence

English Teacher “This Could Be Texas” For fans of: Black Country, New Road; Black Midi British rockers English Teacher came…

Report backing financial aid for summer courses endorsed by SA

SA’s Academic Affairs Committee concluded that there is an “urgent need” for UR to expand financial support for students taking…