Looking for somewhere to show off your merengue skills?

Spanish and Latino Students Association will be sponsoring its 15th annual “Tropicana” dinner dance celebration this Friday.

Dinner will be from 7 to 9 p.m. in Hirst Lounge. The semi-formal dance will take place from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. in Douglass Dining Center.

“The event is in celebration of Spanish and Latino culture,” said Leo Pichardo, publicity manager for SALSA.

The dinner, which is being catered by Latino caterer Rivera’s Market, will include the music of a live harpist.

The dance will feature a performance by internationally acclaimed merengue band “Tulile.”

In addition, New York City DJs will also be providing many kinds of Latin music, including salsa, playero, hip-hop, merengue and bachata.

“Latin dancing is becoming more and more popular,” Pichardo said. “People will love dancing to the hot, tropical beats!”

For those who are looking to improve their salsa and merengue abilities before the dance, free dance lessons will be held on Thursday night in Hirst Lounge from 7 to 9 p.m.

Tickets for students are $15 for the dinner and dance or $10 for the dance only. Tickets for the general public are $20 and $12, respectively.

Tickets are available at the Common Market and at the door. Those who don’t have a student ID should get on the guest list at UofRsalsa@yahoo.com.

For more information, call x59374.

Smith can be reached at ksmith@campustimes.org.

SA Senate election won by everyone who ran

The executive race was the only competitive one in this spring’s SA election. Everyone who ran for senate positions —…

The NBA’s MVP candidates

Against the Cleveland Cavaliers, center Nikola Jokić posted 26 points, 18 rebounds, and 16 assists in 35 minutes. That same…