Editor’s Note: “Senate Summary” is a new feature in which our writers will let you know what happens at each Students’ Association (SA) Senate meeting. Entries will be posted weekly, unless Senate does not meet.
Meeting date: 1/23/17
- Two Senate seats are set to be left vacant after the resignation of sophomore Nicholas Pierce, junior Natalie Ziegler, and senior George Mendez.
- One of the slots was filled by junior Cindy Molina, but she was the only eligible candidate from the spring elections.
- Senators and ACJC Chief Justice Alec Girten discussed four plans for how to fill the vacancies: using a senator selection committee (which no longer exists), holding a special election in the next few weeks, pulling a candidate from the fall freshman election (the two highest-vote-getting candidates, Anthony Pericolo and Eugene Nichols III), or leaving the seats vacant.
- Senate voted to leave them vacant, pending a review of the SA Bylaws.
- French Organization at the University of Rochester was given preliminary status.
- Magnum Opus Rochester Entrepreneurs appealed a decision to not be granted preliminary status.
- Student Organization Conduct Sanction Process will have a live testing model soon.
- Campus Services created a new checklist for student organizations to make events accessible.
- Pierce resigned from the Senate’s SA Constitution committee.
- Starting 1/30: Project proposals and updates
- Jan. 30 in Wilson Commons’ Gowen Room at 8 p.m.
Correction (1/24/17): An earlier version of this summary erroneously said CARE had requested a student support network be created. The statement has been removed.