I nervously knocked on the door of 2101 at a Hilton in New York City. Not hearing an immediate response, I began walking back to my makeshift window seat (kind of ridiculous, since every other room had a chair outside it) as the door swung open.

A man named John introduced himself as we rounded the corner to a seating area. He seemed relatively nice. An additional interviewer waited on a couch. Her name was Michelle. I think she may have been into me, but that is beside the point. A second interviewer caught me off guard. I thought to myself, “This feels weird. There’s like, two of them and one of me. Is this a threeway?” In hindsight, I’m really glad I kept that one to myself. Although, which is better—some sexual tension or a lot of regular tension? Who knows.

The interview began. It probably should have been easy, since they were mostly behavioral questions. I answered everything honestly—my first mistake. The position I was interviewing for was in sales. When asked to describe a quality I would like to change about myself, I replied, “I would like to be less shy. You know, there are people who you instantaneously fall in love with…I  am not one of them. I win people with my work ethic.” Classic salesman being shy, am I right? Worse than that, I continued to explain that my old boss would call me shy. Despite my poor response, at the very least I knew how to answer the work ethic questions. I figured, this was the perfect out: it’s a positive quality in an employee, and it is really hard to debate. The decision was made: any question I didn’t have an immediate answer for would shift to work ethic.

You know how they say you shouldn’t create any distractions during an interview? I had forgotten this. It wasn’t until 20 minutes into the interview that I realized my foot was tapping, my hand was shaking and my jaw was chewing; I didn’t even have gum in my mouth. How does that happen? To calm myself down, I imagined us all sitting there in our underwear; apparently this only works when giving a speech to a large audience. By the way, I still think Michelle was into me.

I was on roll, answering anything the interviewers could throw at me, until I encountered a question I didn’t have a great answer for. John asked, “So, what do you know about our company?”

The question didn’t process immediately, so I began ranting about my work ethic. About two sentences into my response, I realized this was the one question work ethic could not apply to. Just my luck. I went into the brief background I had read about the company on Wikipedia during the train ride to New York City. Next, I accidentally said something that really should have broke the camel’s back (if it wasn’t broken already): Me: “Oh, and you are killing it in Asia.”

I created a future rule-of-thumb that day: not only should I not use slang in a formal setting, the word “killing” should probably not come up in an interview. What if they didn’t know their company well and used their own imagination for it? Did I just accuse an enormous company of killing someone in Asia? Worse, they could have assumed it to be some famous, beloved panda.

After all is said and done, I guess you could say I might have landed the job.

Kuhrt is a member of the class of 2017.

UR Softball continues dominance with sweeps of Alfred University and Ithaca College

The Yellowjackets swept Alfred University on the road Thursday, winning both games by a score of 5–4.

UR Baseball beats Hamilton and RIT

Yellowjackets baseball beat Hamilton College on Tuesday and RIT on Friday to the scores of 11–4 and 7–4, respectively.