1. How did you first get into swimming?
I first got into swimming when I was six years old. My older sister, Jessica, used to be a swimmer, so I just followed her footsteps into the sport. I’ve always loved swimming and how it felt to be in the water.
2. What’s going through your mind when you first enter the water?
When I first enter the water, I am thinking “Oh no, this is going to be cold.” At 7am practice during the week, when you first jump in the water, it feels like you are just waking up for the first time. When I jump in for a race, I am in the zone and all of my nerves go away immediately upon entering the water.
3. What is your favorite stroke? Why?
My favorite stroke is butterfly. It is a full body stroke, and it feels really powerful when you are in the right mindset and feel good. I am also not great at backstroke and breaststroke, so I gotta choose fly as my favorite.
4. How did it feel to have such a dominant performance at the Liberty League Championships?
I was really happy with my performance at Liberty Leagues. We have been training really hard this year and doing different types of practices than we did last year, so I did not know what to expect. When you are swimming a race, you aren’t really thinking about your times. You are thinking more about how you feel in the water at that moment.
5. How proud are you to set so many records and record victories in seven events?
I am proud to set records, but for me, it is more about being a part of the team. Don’t get me wrong, it is fun to swim fast, but when you leave college and look back, the thing I am going to miss the most is the team and how it felt to be a part of such a close-knit group.
6. What are your thoughts on being the Women’s Liberty League Swimmer of the Year for three consecutive years?
I feel honored to be Liberty League Swimmer of the Year for three years. When you go into the meet, you aren’t really thinking about the outcome. You take it one race at a time and see how it goes.
7. Would you rather go sledding with Oprah Winfrey or Robin Williams? Why?
I would definitely rather go sledding with Robin Williams. I would ask him what Heaven is like and tell him how much all of his fans miss him.
Eber is a member of the class of 2017.