Melissa Goldin, Editor-in-Chief

UR has joined the Davis United World College (UWC) Scholars Program, becoming one of over 90 universities throughout the country that are part of the organization.

The Davis UWC Scholars Program is “the world’s largest, privately funded, international scholarship program,” funding the educations of over 2,500 exceptional international students, according to its website.

The program promotes the goals of advanced education, global networking and the collaboration and engagement of all students at universities.

Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Jonathan Burdick said “it’s about time” that the University joined the program.

“We’re a lot like the schools who were already participating,” Burdick said. These schools include the likes of Harvard University, Johns Hopkins University and Cornell University.

The Davis UWC Scholars Program provides grants to its partner institutions at which UWC graduates, referred to as scholars, enroll. These scholars are chosen by committees in their home nations to attend one of 13 UWC schools for their last two years of high school. The schools are located in Bosnia Herzegovina, Canada, Costa Rica, Hong Kong, India, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Swaziland, the United Kingdom, the United States and Venezuela.

According to Burdick, UR had already developed good relationships with four of these 12 schools. Over the next two years, the Office of Admissions will work to visit and develop rapport with the other eight. Burdick already has plans for trips to the campuses in Swaziland and Canada.

Burdick expressed excitement about the partnership.

“We’ve had an expansion of extremely well-qualified international students,” he said.

Being a member of the program will continue to grow this pool of applicants. Burdick is confident that UR will be able to attract scholars from the UWC, though it may take some time.

“We’re hoping to have maybe two Davis scholars next year,” he said, adding that UR will matriculate at least five scholars per year in the future.

Hansler is a member of the class of 2015.

Misogyny and bigotry plague the heavy music scene

Bands fronted by people of color, queer folk, and feminine-presenting people have always existed, but because their white, cisgender male counterparts overshadow them, they struggle to find and build a following and are often belittled for their musical skill.

Live action remakes: If it ain’t broke, do it again but worse

For the most part, these movies are just rehashes — visually bland and feebly attempting to offset their lack of originality with celebrity cameos and nostalgia bait.

Seniors — save your data before it’s too late

Graduation is looming, which means it’s time for seniors to start thinking about what to do with all the files…