The men’s soccer team continued their hot streak over the past two weeks, going undefeated in three games. Unfortunately for them, two ties in University Athletic Association play left the ‘Jackets in fourth place in the league with three games to play.

On Oct. 13, UR played host to the University of Chicago. The Maroons came out quickly and scored in the 14th minute on a one-on-one shot that UR junior goalie Paco Corbalan couldn’t corral. Both teams had scoring chances toward the end of the half, but they went into the locker rooms with Chicago holding a 1-0 lead.

The Maroons almost doubled their lead early in the second half. A Chicago forward blasted a shot toward the right corner, but Corbalan was sharp and made the tough save.

UR got the equalizer in the 58th minute. A cross by senior Neil Osuch was handled by a Maroons player in the penalty area, giving the Yellowjackets a penalty kick. Senior Tyler Green buried the shot in the back of the net, knotting the score at one goal apiece.

From that point on, UR played like a team possessed. They created numerous scoring chances and outplayed the Maroons, but were unable to score and the regulation period ended with a 1-1 draw.

The overtime periods were evenly matched, with both teams creating scoring chances. The defense was solid, however, and two overtimes could not produce a winner. The tie earned UR just one point in the UAA standings.

Two days later, the Washington University in St. Louis Bears came to Fauver Stadium. The first half featured back-and-forth play, but neither team could convert their scoring chances into goals.

The second half was much more exciting. Once again, the Yellowjackets fell into a hole by letting in a goal in the 59th minute. A long throw-in deep in UR territory was headed into the left corner to give Washington a 1-0 lead.

For the second time in three days, Green played the role of hero for the Yellowjackets. With less than 15 minutes in regulation, he headed home his 10th goal of the season to tie the game.

In overtime, UR had its chances to come away with a victory. The best one came in the second overtime, when junior Bobby Milenovici sprayed a header wide of the goal. The ball came right to Green, but his header was snared by the Bears’ goalie. The game ended in another 1-1 tie.

On Saturday, the ‘Jackets traveled to SUNY Cortland to face the Red Dragons in a non-league game. UR’s offense was in rythym early, scoring two first half goals.

In the 13th minute, Green headed in a pass from junior Nick Mikolenko to give UR the lead. Mikolenko tallied his second assist with less than two minutes left in the half as he crossed a ball that freshman Robin Hargadon headed past the Cortland goalie for a 2-0 lead.

Cortland cut the lead in half in the 75th minute, but could get no closer and UR came away with the 2-1 victory.

The Yellowjackets are currently fourth in the UAA and ranked 24th in the nation among Division III teams. They play two important league games this weekend. They travel to Emory University on Friday and take on Carnegie Mellon on the road Sunday.

Moeller is a member of the class of 2009.

The NBA’s MVP candidates

Against the Cleveland Cavaliers, center Nikola Jokić posted 26 points, 18 rebounds, and 16 assists in 35 minutes. That same…

Hippo Campus’ D-Day show was to “Ride or Die” for

Hippo Campus’ performance was a well-needed break from the craze of finals, and just as memorable as their name would suggest.

Furries on UR campus?

A few months ago, as I did my daily walk to class through the tunnels to escape the February cold,…