Junior Loren Wagner goes for a layup

Amanda Klug, Staff Photographer

The UR women’s basketball team earned two wins this weekend, making their overall record a solid 17-5. The Ladyjackets started out the weekend strong on Friday with an away victory, 58-37, against the University of Chicago. UR then picked up their second win of the weekend in another away game, a 93-74 victory over Washington University in St. Louis on Sunday.
The Yellowjackets’ Friday victory over Chicago was a relatively low-scoring game, with a mere 95 points between the two teams. However, you would not guess this based on sophomore Breanna Madrazo’s stats. Madrazo had the game of her life, with a career high of 20 points.
Madrazo’s strong performance, as well as the Ladyjackets outerbounding the Phoenix’s 50-39, helped secure UR the win.  Senior Amy Woods and junior Loren Wagner led UR on the boards with a combined total of 20 rebounds.
During a long weekend of travel, UR continued its momentum from Friday’s win and took down the WashU Bears on Sunday, putting UR in the top seeded spot in the UAA, tied with the Emory University Eagles.
With both teams going into the game tied with 8-2 records, this was a huge road win for the Yellowjackets, defeating WashU on their own turf for the second time in history. WashU suffered their first home loss of the season in this brutal battle, putting UR and Emory into first place in the UAA and knocking WashU into third place.
Once again, the star of the night was Madrazo, leading the LadyJackets with 21 points, with four 3-pointers. and earning another career high. Sophomore Ally Zywicki also had an impressive performance with 16 points and 10 assists.
Other strong performers include Wagner who nabbed 12 points and nine rebounds, senior Jackie Walker with an impressive 12 points and 10 rebounds, junior Katie Weiner with a solid 11 points and six rebounds, and junior Danielle McNabb who brought in 10 points and five rebounds.
The Ladyjackets also had a much stronger shooting percentage than the Bears, a feat which truly showed in the final score. They outshot the Bears 55 percent to 29 percent from the floor and 57 percent to 26 percent from the arc.
This team effort led to one of the most crucial wins of the season. The LadyJackets hope to build on this win as they face their next competition, going head to head against the Carnegie Mellon University Tartans on Friday, Feb. 15, and Case Western Reserve University Spartans on Sunday, Feb. 17.

Cozen is a member of the class of 2015.

The NBA’s MVP candidates

Against the Cleveland Cavaliers, center Nikola Jokić posted 26 points, 18 rebounds, and 16 assists in 35 minutes. That same…

Making first impressions: Don’t get stuck in your head

Perhaps the only way to prevent yourself from sinking into that ocean of once-seen faces, to light a rescue beacon before it’s too late, is to do something remarkable.

Bader-Gregory and Lopez to lead SA

Sophomore Elijah Bader-Gregory, current SA vice president, will serve as SA president next year after beating first-year Sammy Randle III…