Yvette Igbokwe broke two UR records with her performance at the Fastrack National Invitational at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex in Staten Island on Saturday, Feb. 13.

The senior sprinter ran the 60-meter dash in 7.89 seconds to break a school record set by Casey Green ‘11, who ran a 7.95 in 2008. In the event, Igbokwe finished twenty-fourth, and her school record sits at twenty-seventh in the NCAA Division III rankings this season.

Igbokwe also broke the record for the 200-meter dash, posting a time of 26.13 seconds and placing thirteenth for the event. Both times qualify the Brockton native for the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) meet in March, which will also be held at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex.

The 200-meter dash was her first race of the day, and she hadn’t competed in two weeks. Breaking school records didn’t seem to be on Igbokwe’s mind before the competition—in fact, she was anxious. “In my nervous state, I ended up starting on the wrong foot, so I was not really expecting anything,” she said.

Igbokwe said she feels rewarded to now hold the 60-meter record.

“I was happy when I broke the 60 school record because I have been .01 seconds from breaking the school record for a while,” Igbokwe said. “It was great that I was able to finally get that.”
The Yellowjackets recorded 11 ECAC qualifying performances at Fastrack National and will move forward to compete at the Brockport Invitational this Saturday.

Tagged: Track & Field

Zumba in medicine, the unexpected crossover

Each year at URMC, a new cohort of unsuspecting pediatrics residents get a crash course. “There are no mistakes in Zumba,” Gellin says.

5 students banned from campus for Gaza solidarity encampment

UR has been banning community members from campus since November for on-campus protests, but the first bans for current students were issued this weekend.