1. On Tuesday, Nov. 13, at 12:03 a.m., an undergraduate student reported finding a man sleeping in the third floor stacks of Rush Rhees Library.
According to UR Security Investigator Roger Keirsbilck, the man told responding Security officers that he was unemployed and had been using the library computers to search for work. Feeling tired, he decided to find a discreet spot to nap but was woken up when the undergraduate heard him snoring and alerted Security. The man, who was not affiliated with the University, cooperated with officers and left the premises.
Dusty fridge triggers alarm
2. On Friday, Nov. 9, at 9:43 p.m., Security officers responded to a fire alarm in the Wilson Commons Starbucks.
Employees had been cleaning a mini-fridge when it began smoking, Keirsbilck said. After shutting off the fridge, they discovered that they had accidentally released dust from the fan unit, which consequently caused it to smoke. No one was injured, and the alarm was reset.
Gas taken from parked car
3. On Sunday, Nov. 11, an undergraduate student reported that someone had siphoned gasoline from her car. The student told officers that she had parked her car on Library Road near Fauver Stadium and, when she returned several hours later, found the driver-side door unlocked, fuel tank cover open and fuel cap unscrewed. There were no signs of forced entry, Keirsbilck said. The student estimated that seven gallons of gasoline had been taken.
Filmmakers stage fight
4. On Sunday, Nov. 11, an undergraduate student reported seeing two people dressed in black outside Sage Art Center. The student told responding officers that the duo had appeared to be fighting — a spectacle that quickly attracted a crowd of onlookers, Keirsbilck said. Though the suspects left before officers arrived, nearby students said that the two were shooting a scene for a film class. The officers did not pursue the matter further.
Visitor hospitalized for chest pains and nausea
5. On Sunday, Nov. 11, Security officers responded to Anderson Tower, where a visitor to the University had reported experiencing chest pains and nausea. Believing he was suffering from food poisoning, officers contacted the Rochester Fire Department and Rural/Metro Medical Services. Meanwhile, the visitor said he felt dizzy and nearly lost consciousness and was taken to the Strong Memorial Hospital Emergency Department for care.
Gould is a member of the class of 2014.
Information provided by UR Security.