Local Rochester hockey hero makes it to the Olympics

New York Rangers player, Ryan Callahan, 24, will be representing Rochester, N.Y. on the U.S. hockey team at the 2010 Olympics.

Callahan, who is the sole athlete from the Rochester area on the U.S. hockey team, grew up in Greece, N.Y., which is a suburb of Rochester. Callahan started playing hockey in his cul-de-sac since he was 3 years old.

After continuing to play hockey all through high school, Callahan decided to join the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) in Canada after graduation due to its similarities to the National Hockey League in the U.S.

Callahan chose to pursue his hockey career in the OHL because he knew it would lead him to the NHL.

From there he was drafted to the Rangers in the fourth round pick in 2004.
Callahan’s first major game of the Olympics came when the U.S. played Switzerland on Tuesday. With Callahan’s help on defense, the Americans edged out a close win by the score of 3-1.

Local police sergeant charged with stealing from mall

John P. Vail, a Rochester police sergeant, was charged last Monday, Feb. 15, with petty larceny after security officers at Greece Ridge Center Mall caught him leaving the Sears store with approximately $150 worth of tools, which he had not purchased.

Vail has worked for 16 years at the Rochester Police Department (RPD). He has been suspended with pay pending and an internal investigation by the RPD, which is currently underway.

Emily Berkowitz is a member of the class of 2012.
Information was compiled from the Democrat and Chronicle.

Hippo Campus’ D-Day show was to “Ride or Die” for

Hippo Campus’ performance was a well-needed break from the craze of finals, and just as memorable as their name would suggest.

5 students banned from campus for Gaza solidarity encampment

UR has been banning community members from campus since November for on-campus protests, but the first bans for current students were issued this weekend.