According to UR Security Investigator Daniel Lafferty, River Campus bookstore staff reported a theft at approximately 9:30 a.m. on Friday, Oct. 17.

Two unidentified individuals entered the store and asked staff multiple questions about books.

Each individual brought a book to the counter, but one returned his book after apparently changing his mind.

On their way out, one suspect stole a book from a shelf. A search of the surrounding area produced no results. There was no police report filed. Bookstore staff reported that they did not believe the suspects were UR students.

Welcome banner receives an improper greeting

Two suspects entered a tent on the Wilson Quad at 2:36 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 18, and announced to the person watching the tent that they would steal the 8-foot banner hanging there. According to Lafferty, the person watching the tent advised them not to do so, advice that was disregarded by the suspects.

The banner was a Meliora Weekend welcome banner for alumni, parents and friends. The suspects fled the area with the banner.

The suspects then ran in opposite directions, away from the tent one suspect ran toward Library Road and the other ran toward the Fraternity Quad. No police report was filed.

Equipment disappears from a lab

A graduate student in the Wilmot Cancer Center reported that sometime between Wednesday, Sept. 24 and Thursday, Oct. 9, a fiber optic amplifier was stolen from a laboratory in the building.

According to Lafferty, the unidentified suspect entered a secured lab and stole a fiber optic amplifier from one of three stacked boxes. There were no signs of forced entry and a police report was not filed.

DVDs stolen in Eastman Commons

A student reported property stolen between 7:30 and 11:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 16, according to Lafferty.

The student left a DVD movie case and several other times before this specific instance, in the basement lounge in the Eastman Commons Building while he or she attended class.

The suspect or suspects stole the DVD case but left the student’s other property untouched. The DVD case contained 60 DVDs. A police report may be filed by phone at a later date.

GPSs stolen from three cars

Three graduate students reported their vehicles had been broken into at Whipple Park between 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 16 and 8:30 a.m. Friday, Oct. 17.

According to Lafferty, the driver’s door windows of all three cars were smashed. GPS units had been taken from the cars and nothing else was stolen. Police reports were filed.

Two of the vehicles were parked in lots off of Conant Road and the third was parked in a lot off Quinby Road.

Information provided by UR Security.
Leber is a member of the class of 2011.

Live updates: Wallis Hall sit-ins

Editor’s Note (5/4/24): This article is no longer being updated. For our most up to date coverage, look for articles…

Zumba in medicine, the unexpected crossover

Each year at URMC, a new cohort of unsuspecting pediatrics residents get a crash course. “There are no mistakes in Zumba,” Gellin says.