BSU began their week-long Kwanzaa celebration on Monday, Dec. 4 with a variety of events honoring culture, family and community through seven principles. They have been following this tradition for the past 10 years.

On Monday, BSU Volleyball Night was held in the Goergen Athletic Center. The purpose of the games was to celebrate the values of Umoja (unity) and Kujichagulia (self-determination).

On Tuesday, the principle of Ujima (collective work and responsibility) was represented by the creation of holiday cards for patients at the Golisano Children’s Hospital at Strong.

On Wednesday, a discussion was held by Uncle Moe’s Restaurant and highlighted the values of Ujamaa (cooperative economics) and Nia (purpose).

BSU Open Mic Night will be held on Thursday at 8 p.m. in Hillside Caf. This event showcases the principles of Kuumba (creativity) and Imani (faith).

The finale, “Kwanzaa Extravaganza: Remembering Our Past, Repairing Our Present, Reclaiming Our Future,” will be held at 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 8, in the May Room in Wilson Commons. It will spotlight all the values and include food, performances and guest speaker Dr. David Anderson.

“The best thing about Kwanzaa is it allows us to learn a lot about our community,” BSU President and senior Marquis Harrison said.Halusic is a member of the class of 2010.

Zumba in medicine, the unexpected crossover

Each year at URMC, a new cohort of unsuspecting pediatrics residents get a crash course. “There are no mistakes in Zumba,” Gellin says.

Dinner for Peace was an unconventional way of protesting for Palestine

The dinner showcased aspects of Palestinian culture. It was a unique way of protesting against the genocide, against the Israeli occupation, against the university’s involvement with the genocide.