If you’re like many Americans, your favorite holiday takes place the week after Easter. Yes, the week after Easter. Though not an “official holiday,” everyone looks forward to the day when her or she can venture out to his or her favorite store and buy Peeps on sale. The first Peep was manufactured in 1953, and today Peeps are the largest selling, non-chocolate Easter candy. They even outsell jellybeans! Peeps are delicious all year round. Here is a recipe so that you can make your own Peeps.

Ingredients:

1 cup of water

4 tablespoons of gelatin

2 cups of white sugar

1 cup of corn syrup

Cornstarch for dusting

Colored sugar

Directions:

Boil one cup of water, white sugar and corn syrup to 230 degrees. Add the gelatin to the water mixture. In a separate bowl, mix the gelatin with four tablespoons of water.

Mix the gelatin and sugar mixture in a bowl and whip until light and fluffy. Lightly spray cooking spray onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread the mixture over the baking sheet and sprinkle with colored sugar and cornstarch.

Let the marshmallows dry overnight and then dust again with sugar and cornstarch. You can cut the marshmallow sheet into any Peeps shape you would like. Or, if you don’t want to make peeps, just buy them at the Common Market.

Gorode can be reached at kgorode@campustimes.org.

UR Baseball beats Hamilton and RIT

Yellowjackets baseball beat Hamilton College on Tuesday and RIT on Friday to the scores of 11–4 and 7–4, respectively.

Furries on UR campus?

A few months ago, as I did my daily walk to class through the tunnels to escape the February cold,…