We at the Campus Times produce a paper each week, secure in the knowledge that we are able to express ideas and opinions without having our privacy violated. Recently, students of Whittier College did not find themselves as lucky.

On Thursday, Feb. 21, an electronic eavesdropping device was found in their student newspaper office. This is the first discovery of a listening device at a college newspaper.

At Whittier – Richard Nixon’s alma mater – a maintenance worker found the surveillance device, which can transmit signals within a three-mile radius.

The device was imbedded in an electrical outlet located near where staff meetings usually take place.

The device was hardwired into the electrical system, meaning that someone could have potentially used the device for a lengthy time. According to California law, installation of a bug in a private area is illegal, and this is with good reason.

One of the most important aspects of journalism is the free exchange of ideas, which can be fairly reported and presented to the public. Fair and accurate reporting allows readers to make their own opinions regarding current events and occurrences of which they might not have previously known.

The discovery of a listening device in a newspaper office sets a scary precedent for infringing on both the right of free speech and the free exchange of ideas. Allowing someone access to private conversations is not only illegal – it’s unethical. Not only is this a violation of the rights of a free press, but also the rights of human beings entitled to privacy.

The right to disseminate speech is one that should be valued and protected. As citizens of a country that allows a free press, we are all truly fortunate to be able to express, debate and challenge ideas. Cherish this value, and support all newspapers’ desire to inform and enlighten the public.

Colin’s Review Rundown: Future and Metro Boomin, Lizzy McAlpine, Benson Boone, Civerous

Is it bad? Definitely not! But I found myself continually checking my phone to see how many tracks were left.

A reality in fiction: the problem of representation

Oftentimes, rather than embracing femininity as part of who they are, these characters only retain traditionally masculine traits.

An open letter to all members of any university community

I strongly oppose the proposed divestment resolution. This resolution is nothing more than another ugly manifestation of antisemitism at the University.