Aaron Schaffer, Photo Editor

The annual Meliora Weekend football game, one of the season’s most popular, almost did not happen this year. The United States Merchant Marine Academy was scheduled to play UR, but the government shutdown furloughed its coaches and administrators, forcing UR to scramble to find a new opponent. Fortunately, the Alfred State College Pioneers, a provisional Division III team, agreed to play the Yellowjackets, who dominated in a 38-13 homecoming game on Saturday, Oct. 12.

In the first play of the game, senior quarterback Dean Kennedy made an 80-yard touchdown pass to sophomore wide receiver Derek Wager, supplying the YellowJackets with an early lead. Senior kicker Mark Torosian missed the field goal kick, giving the ‘Jackets a 6-point lead over the Pioneers.

Eight minutes later, senior wide receiver Thomas Hayes reeled in a 5-yard pass to put 6 more points on the board. Sophomore kicker Andrew Haber also failed to score an extra point from the field goal kick.

With less than two minutes remaining in the first quarter, Alfred State drove down the field to stay in contention. The visitors completed a 49-yard pass to wide receiver Ismail El-Amin to put running back Rasheed Williams in position for a beautiful 7-yard touchdown run. The extra point was good, leaving the game at 12-7 at the end of the first.

Less than a minute into the second quarter, Kennedy picked up a third UR touchdown on a 15-yard scramble. Contrary to the first quarter, Torosian was successfully kicked the extra point, putting the ‘Jackets up 19-7.

The Pioneer’s next drive ended with a four-and-out, resulting in a turnover-on-downs. UR took advantage, responding with an 18-yard reception by senior wide receiver Willie Roberson, who managed to get both feet down before going out of bounds. Freshman running back Myles Allen capped off the drive with a 3-yard touchdown run, putting the ‘Jackets up 25-7. The Pioneers blocked Torosian’s extra point attempt, keeping the ‘Jackets  at a lead of 18 points.

In the second half, the ’Jackets dominated the time of possession, giving Alfred State little hope of a comeback. UR constantly ran the ball to keep the clock moving. Alfred State threw several passes, but most proved unsuccessful.

The Pioneers successfully scored one touchdown in the second half, but the ‘Jackets put up two more of their own, including a 1-yard run with 30 seconds left in the game.

Though the YellowJackets dominated in both passing and running in the game, the rushing statistics were particularly impressive. Freshman running back Myles Allen continued an already strong year with 13 rushes for 42 yards, leading all UR running backs.

But it was Kennedy who led the team on the ground, picking up 120 rushing yards, a third of which came on a game record 41-yard run in the third quarter.

With the win, UR’s season standing improves to 3-2. The ‘Jackets will travel to Troy, NY on Saturday, Oct. 19, to take on Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in a crucial Liberty League matchup.

Ondo is a member of the class of 2014.

Israel Week promotes nationalism within our Jewish life on campus

The purpose and effect of hosting an “Israel Week” is to distract from and distort the historical and contemporary realities of Israeli occupation and apartheid.

Available now, for a limited time: Pig Syrup

The fact that this market hasn’t been tapped yet astounds me. There are so many reasons to transform into a pig!

Report backing financial aid for summer courses endorsed by SA

SA’s Academic Affairs Committee concluded that there is an “urgent need” for UR to expand financial support for students taking…