Drue Sokol, Photo Editor

For many UR students, using the Robert B. Goergen Athletic Center for fitness classes or working out is as routine as going to class. Many students schedule their gym time around classes and other commitments to avoid the hassle of returning to a dorm room or house in between, rendering the existence of lockers a necessity for those who carry computers, backpacks and other valuables around campus.

Inconveniently, however, the gym no longer gives out reusable tokens for use in the public lockers because, according to multiple gym employees, they were frequently stolen in the past. With the old system, students who did not have a permanent locker could pick up a token and use a locker while they were in the gym and then return the token when they left. Students must now purchase and bring their own lock to the gym to secure backpacks, coats and other belongings — an unnecessary expense.

For some students who only use the gym a few times per week or only go to attend a fitness class once in a while, having to purchase a lock seems entirely unnecessary. What’s more, if students forget their lock there is no other option. Additionally, backpacks and coats are not permitted in the workout areas, so without a lock it is virtually impossible to use any of the facilities.

While it is understandable that the tokens were discontinued if students were stealing them, a system could be implemented such that tokens are signed in and out for each use. This would prevent theft and enable students to lock up their belongings conveniently each time that they use the gym. If necessary, to further guard against theft, students could be required to leave their UR ID at the desk when they sign out a token to ensure that they return it.

Entirely eliminating tokens is not a viable course of action given the popularity of the gym, especially since it inadvertently encourages students to leave their belongings unattended if they have forgotten their lock or do not own one. Implementing a system for signing out tokens with a signature and a UR ID  would be an easy and cost-effective way to combat the problem and allow students to conveniently continue using the gym.

An interview with HermAphrodite, UR’s newest drag performer

“That’s incredibly satisfying for me, to kind of dress bigger and a lot more feminine than I would normally and have people not recognize me even though I’m calling more attention to myself in my opinion,” she explained.

Off Broadway On Campus’ ‘Back in the Game’ sends off their seniors

Off Broadway On Campus (OBOC) had its semesterly show titled “Back In The Game” April 5. While the overarching themes…

Notes by Nadia: Can money buy happiness?

People can enjoy their hobbies without worrying about finances. Because let’s be honest, not everyone loves their job.