UR Security personnel observed a person bending down to the ground to light something on fire outside Hoeing Hall on Friday, according to UR Security Investigator Dan Lafferty.

Officers approached the person when they realized what was happening.

When confronted, the person fled into Hoeing Hall in order to escape from the officers.

The material on the ground was later found to be a liquid identified as “torch fluid.”

It had been spread over a 40-foot section of sidewalk outside of the building.

After the student fled, UR staff arrived and cleaned up the flammable material, according to Lafferty.Students light fireworks on path UR Security officers responded to reports of students lighting fireworks on the path by the Genesee River on Sunday at 3:30 a.m., according to Lafferty.

When security arrival at the scene, the responding officer observed six people who fled the area.

Later, all six people were identified as undergraduate students.

The students were warned against such behavior, according to Lafferty.Wilson Commons fire alarm soundsThe fire alarm at Wilson Commons went off last Thursday at 11:30 a.m., causing a complete evacuation of the building.

The cause of the alarm was a burned out fan belt on an exhaust unit on the sixth floor. Facilities staff reported that a bearing in the unit had seized.

This led to the burning of the belt.

Despite student fears that an inferno had erupted, the heavy smoke in the area was not symptomatic of a larger fire. The area was quickly ventilated after the arrival of the Rochester Fire Department, according to Lafferty.

Soon after, the all-clear was given and students were allowed to re-enter the building, according to Lafferty.Staff member’s car is stolen from lotA staff member’s car was stolen from Parking Lot Four on Friday between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m., according to Lafferty. The identity of the thief is currently unknown.

The vehicle had been secured before being stolen, according to the owner. A police report was filed with the Rochester Police Department.Student hospitalized after allergic reactionA Susan B. Anthony Residence Halls occupant was transported to the Strong Memorial Hospital Emergency Department last Wednesday at 1 p.m., according to Lafferty.

The student was reportedly suffering respiratory problems that were caused by allergy medications.Information provided by UR Security.Majarian can be reached at mmajarian@campustimes.org.



Zumba in medicine, the unexpected crossover

Each year at URMC, a new cohort of unsuspecting pediatrics residents get a crash course. “There are no mistakes in Zumba,” Gellin says.

Live updates: Wallis Hall sit-ins

Editor’s Note (5/4/24): This article is no longer being updated. For our most up to date coverage, look for articles…

Israeli-Palestinian conflict reporting disclosures

The Campus Times is a club student newspaper with a small reporting staff at a small, private University. We are…