A 20-year-old undergraduate threw a trash can on the hood of a car that was parked on Wilson Boulevard near Library Road after 3:30 a.m. on Nov. 1.The student stated that he had consumed a few beers on the Fraternity Quad, but did not name any specific location, according to UR Security Investigator Dan Lafferty.The trash can scratched the hood of the car, and UR Security officers were unable to identify the owner at the time of the incident, according to security.No report has been filed with the Rochester Police Department and the matter has been referred to the Dean of Students’ Office for review.Unusual odor found in Hutchinson HallSecurity received reports of the smell of natural gas in Hutchinson Hall after 6 p.m. on Nov. 4, according to Lafferty.The Rochester Fire Department responded, and, after checking the building, was unable to determine the source of the smell, which had already dissipated.Environmental Health and Safety responded and found people in a lab on the fourth floor who had been using thiol mercaptan, which gives natural gas its smell, according to security.The students said that they had not spilled any of the chemical, and no hazard was found.Leaves near Frederick Douglass catch fireAfter hearing a report that leaves were on fire between Wilson Commons and the Frederick Douglass Building, UR Security officers responded before 1 p.m. on Nov. 3, according to Lafferty.Upon arrival, the officers noticed that the fallen dry leaves, which were under a grate next to Douglass, had already been extinguished. RFD responded and verified that the fire was out and gave the all clear.Facilities staff arranged to have the area cleared of leaves, according to UR Security.No specific cause for the fire was found, although it is suspected that a discarded cigarette caused the fire.There were no damages or injuries.Two children warned about loiteringTwo youths were seen loitering near the pedestrian footbridge around 8 a.m. on Nov. 4.The two were identified and said they had been on their way to school but decided to walk around campus instead, according to UR Security.They were advised not to walk across campus again, issued a verbal warning and released.Holiday decorations declared hazardHalloween decorations hanging on a student’s room door at the Eastman School of Music were determined to be a hazardous condition at 6:40 p.m. on Oct. 31, according to security.The decorations contained pieces of broken glass, as well as other more generic decoration materials. The student was not present at the time of the incident and the Residential Advisor and Residential Life were to follow up with the student in order to have the glass shards removed from the door, according to Lafferty. Information provided by UR Security.Schnee can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RocLab launches Unicycle to promote sustainability on campus
RocLab, a student-run organization granting members opportunities to develop and implement their own software, released its newest project, Unicycle, Monday.…
Notes by Nadia: The struggles of finding a job
To all my fellow jobless students out there, I wish you the best of luck in your job hunts.
Find X: Identifying humanity in “Homework, Horizons, and Hellscapes”
Underneath the graphs, hidden behind rational squares and plotted timelines, are thousands of unnamed voices, crying out from between x and y.