Aaron Schaffer, Photo Editor

The men’s soccer team enjoyed a strong week, tying the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) 1-1 on Saturday, Sept. 21 in the Second Annual Hillside Shield match. The ‘Jackets’s luck changed, however, with a 4-0 shutout victory against St. John Fisher College on Tuesday, Sept. 24.

The game against RIT was of special significance because it was played at Sahlens Stadium in downtown Rochester, a 15,000-seat soccer arena. This match went into double overtime and ended in a 1-1 tie.
Both teams went scoreless in the first half. Junior Danny Bloshkin made the first mark on the scoreboard with a penalty kick after 45:34 minutes of play, giving RIT a 1-0 lead.

The Tigers would maintain this lead for the majority of the second half.
Just as RIT had the victory in sight, however, senior Max Fan headed in a cross by junior Andrew Sheridan with 4:40 left in regulation, tying the game at 1.
The second half ended with neither team scoring again, forcing an overtime period. Neither team could find the net in this extra time, causing a second overtime to be played. Much as the first one had gone, this additional period did not feature any goals. The game would end with a tied score of 1-1.

On Tuesday, the YellowJackets took the field once again to face off against St. John Fisher College, this time with the home field advantage in Fauver Stadium.  In this game, the ‘Jackets dominated from the very start, with junior Shane Dobles scoring early in the first half after a pass by fellow junior Ben Keeton, giving UR a 1-0 lead. The goal was soon followed another score, this time Keeton earning one of his own.

Freshman rookie Jeff Greblick scored the third and final goal of the half with just over six minutes left by beating Fisher’s goalie, Josh Klein, in a breakaway. This gave the YellowJackets a sizable 3-0 lead going into the half.
To start off the second half, the Cardinals began with the ball. However, this possession did not last long and the YellowJackets quickly gained control.

The steady ball movement by UR led to a goal with 37:20 remaining, when the duo of Keeton and Dobles struck again, this time when Keeton connected scored on a header off of a corner kick by Dobles.
The YellowJackets maintained control through the first part of the second half, preventing the Cardinals from getting their first shot on goal with 35:28 remaining.

Halfway through the period, the YellowJackets put in many of their less experienced players, leading to the offensive time being a bit more even between the two teams.

With 2:01 left, UR had its last opportunity to add another notch to the scoreboard, though an impressive save by the Fisher goalkeeper stopped the YellowJackets from recording a potential fifth goal.

One of Fisher’s best chances to prevent the shutout came in the final minute on a shot from the corner, but UR goalie and freshman Michael Shatkin made an impressive save to preserve the whitewashing for UR.

The YellowJackets’ domination in the 4-0 win brings their record a strong 6-1-1. The team will look to build on this victory on Saturday, Sept. 28 in a home match against Lycoming College.

Cozen is a member of the class of 2015.

Israel Week promotes nationalism within our Jewish life on campus

The purpose and effect of hosting an “Israel Week” is to distract from and distort the historical and contemporary realities of Israeli occupation and apartheid.

SA Senate election won by everyone who ran

The executive race was the only competitive one in this spring’s SA election. Everyone who ran for senate positions —…

Art and creativity are in everything we do

Art is integrated into almost everything we do, whether we know it or not, influencing the ways in which we go about our day.