Editor’s Note: “Senate Summary” is a new feature in which our writers will let you know what happens at each Students’ Association (SA) Senate meeting. Entries will be posted weekly, unless Senate does not meet.

Meeting date: 1/23/17

By David Schildkraut, News Editor

Top take

• Two Senate seats are set to be left vacant after the resignation of sophomore Nicholas Pierce, junior Natalie Ziegler, and senior George Mendez.
    • One of the slots was filled by junior Cindy Molina, but she was the only eligible candidate from the spring elections.
    • Senators and ACJC Chief Justice Alec Girten discussed four plans for how to fill the vacancies: using a senator selection committee (which no longer exists), holding a special election in the next few weeks, pulling a candidate from the fall freshman election (the two highest-vote-getting candidates, Anthony Pericolo and Eugene Nichols III), or leaving the seats vacant.
    • Senate voted to leave them vacant, pending a review of the SA Bylaws.

Other bits

• French Organization at the University of Rochester was given preliminary status.
  • Magnum Opus Rochester Entrepreneurs appealed a decision to not be granted preliminary status.
  • Student Organization Conduct Sanction Process will have a live testing model soon.
  • Campus Services created a new checklist for student organizations to make events accessible.
  • Pierce resigned from the Senate’s SA Constitution committee.
  • Starting 1/30: Project proposals and updates

Next meeting

• Jan. 30 in Wilson Commons’ Gowen Room at 8 p.m.

Correction (1/24/17): An earlier version of this summary erroneously said CARE had requested a student support network be created. The statement has been removed.

Justin Trombly February 15, 20173:08 pm

Meeting Date: 2/13/17

By Sam Passanisi, Senior Staff

Top take

• Speaker of the Senate Lindsay Wrobel met with senior Stephen Wegman over the past week, and an ultimatum was issued.

• Wegman and other students spoke to the SA Senate on Jan. 30 requesting fraternities, sororities, a cappella groups, and club sports be sanctioned and stripped of SA support due to an alleged violation of Article V of the SA Constitution.

• Wegman said he plans to appeal to the All-Campus Judicial Council unless an answer is received from ARC Chair Alex Guerrero by Feb. 20.

• Senators divided over whether an appeal would be justified.

• Wrobel quoted Wegman as saying that he would “look the other way” regarding the matter if SA were to drop its review of the club sports and a capella groups named on Jan. 30.

• Guerrero explained that he is working with SA adviser Anne-Marie Algier and Director of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs John DiSarro to assess SA’s connection to Greek life.

• Senate expressed interest in creating a survey for the student body on this issue.

Other bits

• SA Senate discussed a response to Campus Times article “5K Challenge raises questions of missteps.”

• Senators divided on degree of response—some wanted a general Senate response while others wanted no written response to be made.

• Senate agreed that senators are free to write a response to the article individually.

• Senate leadership will meet with the finalists quoted by Campus Times in the article.

• SA Vice President Lance Floto is working on the implementation of the 5K Challenge winner, the Pads and Tampons Initiative.

• SA President Vito Martino will be trying to get voting power on the UR Board of Trustees.

• The Presidential Diversity Council held its first meeting on Monday, Feb. 13 to discuss implicit bias training.

• SA is compiling a list of female science and engineering professors.

• ARC reminds students that all new organization proposals must be submitted by noon on Mar. 1.

• Rochester Rhythmic Voices granted SA recognition.

• SA Senator Dan Matthews looking into fixing up unused Spurrier Hall space for student storage.

• Mili Garcia appointed as Associate Director for Community Engagement.

• Julie Woodward appointed Legislative Adviser to Academic Affairs Committee.

• Resolution for “Maintaining open and regular communication with the student body” passed.

• Charges SA Senate to have more events to communicate with students.

Next meeting

• Monday, February 20, at 8:00 p.m. in the Gowen Room

Justin Trombly February 8, 20173:30 pm

Meeting date: 2/6/17

By David Schildkraut and Amanda Marquez, News Editors

Top take

• Magnus Opus Rochester Entrepreneurs (MORE) appealed the Administration and Review Committee (ARC) decision to not grant preliminary status to the full SA Senate.

• This followed the dismissal of the appeal as announced at last week’s SA Meeting.

• MORE argued that its operations were different than those of Meliora Launchpad, a startup club on campus, the Simon School and the Anes Center for Entrepreneurship. MORE also argued that ARC overstepped its authority as outlined in SA documents, including the ARC Policy and Procedure Manual.

• ARC argued that MORE violated the uniqueness principle that was part of the criteria for consideration of granting a new student organization preliminary status.

• Senate had three options: overturn the ARC decision and grant MORE preliminary status, uphold the ARC decision to not grant preliminary status, or send the appeal back to ARC for additional review, which could have included an exception for a violation of a principle.

• Senate voted 12–2–2 to uphold the ARC decision to not grant MORE preliminary status.

Other bits

• UR Hellenic Dancers granted SA Recognition. The group is not restricted to performance; also plans to promote Greek culture on campus.

• Resolution for “An Addition of an Accessibility Checklist as a Guide When Registering Events” passed.

• Approved “Senate Statement addressing Student Concerns of Potentially Noncompliant SA Organizations.”

• Senator Leif Johansen appointed to ARC.

• Senator Rebecca Mooney appointed to Campus Services Committee.

• Senator Jordan Smith appointed to Campus Services Committee.

• Senator Josh Pachter appointed to Student Life Committee.

• Senator Cindy Molina appointed to Student Life Committee.

• Senator Dan Pak appointed to Campus Services Committee.

• Kanupriya Agarwal appointed Student Organization Analyst for ARC.

Next meeting

• Monday, February 13, at 8:00 p.m. in the Gowen Room
    Justin Trombly January 31, 201712:06 am

Meeting date: 1/30/17

By David Schildkraut, News Editor

Top take

• A group of students brought up concerns of gender and sex discrimination in 55 student organizations, including fraternities, sororities, a cappella groups, and club sports teams.

• Senators, committee chairs, SA President Vito Martino, SA Vice President Lance Floto, and ACJC Chief Justice Alec Girten discussed five courses of action: sending the concerns to ARC for review, requesting ACJC to review concerns via an appeal, drafting a statement in support of protesters’ concerns, creating a group of senators to review the constitutions of the organizations in question, and sending the concerns to the SA President for executive action.

• Senate voted to create a small group of senators to review constitutions, draft a statement in support of the concerns brought up at the meeting, and organize a meeting between the protesters and the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs (FSA).

• Senators conducting review are Kamel Awayda, Leif Johansen, Zoë James, Joey Stephens, and Joshua Pachter

Other bits

• Magnum Opus Rochester Entrepreneurs had its appeal dismissed by ARC.

• Preliminary status of Table Talks tabled.

• UC Actuarial Club given preliminary status.

• Student Life drafting petition to City of Rochester to remove “Indian Town” sign located near the Genesee.

• UofR Stars and Stripes initiative started.

• Would provide recognition of facilities, dining services, and transportation services workers.

• Executive branch has created the “Senator Projects Fund” that allocates $2,000 for senators to work on personal SA-related projects.

• Past SA Vice President Melissa Holloway and current Executive Director of Student Life Nicholas Contento organizing nobannowall

• Welliora Campaign set to return in April.

• Senator Leif Johansen appointed to replace Nicholas Pierce on the Constitution Task Force.

• Chief Justice Alec Girten resigned from the Constitution Task Force.

• Justice Christian Keenan appointed to fill Chief Justice Girten’s spot on the Constitution Task Force.

• SA President Vito Martino appointed Deputy Speaker Marco Ramos to the Constitution Task Force.

• Next meeting

• Feb. 6 in Wilson Commons’ Gowen Room at 8 p.m.

Tagged: SA SA Senate

Students write love letters to immigrants

Students wrote letters extending words of love and encouragement to UR’s immigrant community last Thursday afternoon at the “#ToImmigrantsWithLove” event held in Hirst Lounge.

Cage, the Elephant

Fans ranged from disappointed to infuriated as they left what they thought was supposed to be a rare Rochester performance…

Mock Trial wins big at regionals

Both the Rochester A and B teams will compete at the Opening Round Championship Series (ORCS) in Lancaster, Pa., from Mar. 17 to 19.