Editor’s Note: “Senate Summary” is a new feature in which our writers will let you know what happens at each Students’ Association (SA) Senate meeting. Entries will be posted weekly, unless Senate does not meet.

Meeting date: 1/23/17

By David Schildkraut, News Editor

Top take

• Two Senate seats are set to be left vacant after the resignation of sophomore Nicholas Pierce, junior Natalie Ziegler, and senior George Mendez.
    • One of the slots was filled by junior Cindy Molina, but she was the only eligible candidate from the spring elections.
    • Senators and ACJC Chief Justice Alec Girten discussed four plans for how to fill the vacancies: using a senator selection committee (which no longer exists), holding a special election in the next few weeks, pulling a candidate from the fall freshman election (the two highest-vote-getting candidates, Anthony Pericolo and Eugene Nichols III), or leaving the seats vacant.
    • Senate voted to leave them vacant, pending a review of the SA Bylaws.

Other bits

• French Organization at the University of Rochester was given preliminary status.
  • Magnum Opus Rochester Entrepreneurs appealed a decision to not be granted preliminary status.
  • Student Organization Conduct Sanction Process will have a live testing model soon.
  • Campus Services created a new checklist for student organizations to make events accessible.
  • Pierce resigned from the Senate’s SA Constitution committee.
  • Starting 1/30: Project proposals and updates

Next meeting

• Jan. 30 in Wilson Commons’ Gowen Room at 8 p.m.

Correction (1/24/17): An earlier version of this summary erroneously said CARE had requested a student support network be created. The statement has been removed.

Tagged: SA SA Senate

Fresh alumni unable to identify any building on campus amid UR construction

The alumni strolled around campus, reminiscing about the way campus used to be. "Seems like I can't find a single building that was here when I was a student," one said. They had graduated just one week ago.

Down to their last slice, ‘Pizza Prty’ looks back

On the evening of May 1, two weeks before the final broadcast of their weekly music show “Pizza Prty” on WRUR, seniors Carrie Taschman and Toby Kashket are dealing with a more present issue: Kashket cannot stop giggling on air.

Longtime Dining worker fired for what she says was a punch-in mistake

McKnight said that being fired for allegedly being six minutes late does not outweigh her 17 years of service to UR, which she said lacks serious conduct issues.