Correction (1/10/16): In a previous version of this story, the Campus Times used the names of the victims. Out of respect for the privacy and dignity of the victims, the Campus Times has removed their names and some of the details of the case.
Six suspects arrested in the Dec. 5 kidnapping of two UR seniors have been charged with a litany of crimes—including predatory sexual assault—according to a release from the Monroe County District Attorney’s Office.
The press release, included in an email sent by University President Joel Seligman on Jan. 6, detailed the unsealed grand jury indictment against six of the seven people arrested after a SWAT team raided a property to rescue the students exactly one month prior.
That raid came after the two seniors were held at gunpoint and terrorized for hours inside a rundown home at 22 Harvest Street, on the northeast side of the city.
Both were beaten and robbed of money, credit cards, and personal identification numbers, according to the criminal complaint released after the rescue. One had been shot twice in the leg with a .22-caliber rifle.
“The crimes charged in the indictment unsealed today are indicative of the violent nature of the abduction and the extreme torture the victims underwent while being held for over 40 hours on Harvest Street,” the release from District Attorney Sandra Doorley says.
The indictment, available online in redacted form, describes 84 counts of a range of crimes—various types of assault, kidnapping, robbery, and weapons and firearms charges.
Two of the defendants, Dennis Perez, 23, and Lydell Strickland, 26, were charged with a combined 18 counts of first-degree predatory sexual assault, a felony, according to Doorley’s release.
The rest of the charges levied against Perez and Strickland were identical: four counts of first-degree kidnapping, two counts of first-degree assault, two counts of first-degree gang assault, six counts of first-degree robbery, two counts of second-degree robbery, two counts of third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, and first-degree criminal use of a firearm, all felonies.
David Alcaraz-Ubiles, 24, was charged with two counts of second-degree kidnapping, two counts of first-degree assault, first-degree criminal use of a firearm, third-degree criminal possession of a weapon—all felonies—and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a misdemeanor.
Leah Gigliotti, 20, was charged with four counts of first-degree kidnapping, two counts of first-degree assault, and two counts of first-degree gang assault, all felonies.
Samantha Hughes, 19, was charged with four counts of first-degree kidnapping, two counts of first-degree assault, and two counts of first-degree gang assault, all felonies.
Inalia Rolldan, 19, was charged with two counts of second-degree kidnapping, first-degree criminal use of a firearm, third-degree criminal possession of a weapon—all felonies—and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a misdemeanor.
Ruth Lora, who was arraigned in December with the other defendants, was not listed in the indictment.
First-degree kidnapping is a class A-I felony, the highest crime category in New York state, with a minimum sentence of between 15 and 25 years.
First-degree predatory sexual assault is a class A-II felony, the second-highest crime category in the state, with a minimum sentence of between 10 and 25 years for predatory sexual assault.
“The investigation is still active and may yield additional defendants and charges,” Doorley said in the release. “We remain cautious about commenting on the specific facts and will not speculate on motive and other details that could hinder a complete and thorough investigation.”
Trombly is a member of the class of 2018.