Kathryn Montgomery, a senior, is a defender on the field hockey team.
On Tuesday, she scored her first career goal to contribute to the team’s 8-0 win against Elmira College.
In 2014, Montgomery was awarded to the NFHCA Academic Honor Roll. During her sophomore year, she had the second-most defensive saves in the Liberty League and received Honorable Mention in the conference.
1. How did you first get involved in field hockey?
I started playing field hockey in the seventh grade because I liked the skirts.
2. Which athlete do you look up to most? Why?
Michael Jordan—the greatest athlete of all time, without a shadow of doubt. His skill, coordination and mental game sets the gold standard for athletes today. “Tryna be like Mike!”
3. How did it feel to score your first collegiate goal as a senior?
It was awesome! As a deep defender, I usually don’t step foot in our offensive circle, so it was a nice change of pace and scenery.
4. What is the best and worst part about playing defense?
I love the point of view of playing in the backfield because I’m able to see the entire field and use it to communicate with teammates playing in front of me. The worst part about playing defense is probably not being able to follow the play up the field, as a midfielder would. It takes some serious self-control to hit the brakes and stay back to hold our formation.
5. How does it feel for the team to have another dominant showing, extending your record to an impressive 11-4?
It feels great to have an 11-4 record, and we’re humble about it! Our senior class knows what it’s like to make a deep post-season NCAA run, and we work hard at every practice and every game to get there againw.
6. Would you rather build an igloo with John Travolta or Bill Gates? Why?
Bill Gates for his innovative and creative mind. We would build the coolest igloo ever!
7. What is your favorite quote?
“They gon’ love me for my Ambition.” – Wale
Douglas is a member of the class of 2017.
Eber is a member of the class of 2017.