Aaron Raymond, Photographer

With hundreds of alumni flocking to campus for Mel Weekend, Fauver was filled with its largest crowd of the year on Saturday—and UR Football returned the favor by giving fans a thriller of a contest. It’s the first time the 2015 ‘Jackets have seen a game tied in the fourth quarter. The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy knotted up the score at 17 after a touchdown and extra point with just over 10 minutes remaining, and UR was left with a test.

Though team was led by senior quarterback Justin Redfern for the majority for of the contest, who threw sixteen completions on twenty-nine attempts, it was some unlikely heroes who set up the go-ahead touchdown by Rochester’s security blanket, junior running back Myles Allen.

Following the Academy’s equalizing touchdown, junior Matt Pisano returned the kickoff 52 yards. That, in combination with junior Kyle Allegrini’s option pass to senior Farid Adenuga, put the ball inside the 15, where our dominant offensive line and running core could go to work.

It was clear that this confident UR squad was not intimidated under the pressure. The UR defense, as they have done so often this year, shut down the Academy on drives that followed. The offense saw the game to a close with two kneel downs, a sight that was then celebrated by all those in attendance.

For the UR students and alumni who had not yet watched a game before Saturday, it was all too easy to think “here we go again” after the Mariners recovered an onside kick to open the game and proceeded to score a touchdown only five plays in.

But, anyone of that mindset failed to realize that there’s a reason this year’s team is undefeated at home.

On the offensive side, UR once again brought a style and flair that was good enough to work consistently but inconsistent enough to be surprising. The team doesn’t rely too heavily on just one facet of attack.

Even with regular starting sophomore quarterback Daniel Bronson on the sideline for most of the game with a hand injury, the ‘Jackets still completed almost 20 passes. This included a touchdown pass on a trick field goal play from senior kicker Andrew Haber.

On average, the UR defense gives up less than a touchdown per game at home. The Mel Weekend game was no different. They paved the way for the first touchdown of the game when senior Thomas Marone punched a ball free from the Mariner’s ball handler, and junior David Wolff recovered and returned it to the nine yard line.

The defense even drew national attention, when sophomore linebacker Isaiah Smith was named to the Division III football Team of the Week. His 19 tackles this week was the highest in a single game by a Rochester player in the last fifteen years.

After travelling to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute for a game on Oct. 17, the ‘Jackets will return home to take on a struggling Union College team the following weekend on Oct. 24. With a potential showdown against Hobart College looming at the bottom of UR’s regular season schedule, our ‘Jackets are the drawing eye of more than just the alumni during Mel Weekend. Take note—it should be a fun second half to UR’s already impressive season.

Lucchesi is a member of the class of 2016.

Geophysicists debut model of donut-shaped Earth

Improvements to geophysical mathematics has led to a stunning new revelation: Our Earth is actually a torus. The Global Geophysicists…

Blindspots: Unconditional aid is turning Israel into a rogue state

This unconditional aid has empowered a small regional power to drift further and further from international accountability. 

Panel clears the air on cannabis topics

So, what’s going on with weed? The Alcohol and Other Drug Education Program (AOD) hosted a cannabis Q&A panel on…