Courtesy of the University of Rochester

UR, like many other schools, has a long and unique history, beginning when Azariah Boody’s agricultural pastures were transformed into our first campus on Prince Street in 1850. The River Campus was opened as a replacement as the original location in 1930. When the institution opened, it was when exclusively for men. 

Ever since, many symbols and stories have emerged and are referenced all around campus – the “Go you, Yellowjackets!” quote in Wilson Commons, the statues and engravings throughout Rush Rhees Library, the University seal found on your acceptance letter, our mascot, and even our University colors.

Owls:

All around Rush Rhees and Morey Hall, owls can be spotted. They are a classical symbol of learning and wisdom, as they have incredible vision. They have been seen by many civilizations as able to find meaning in the darkness, and have been appropriated as the image of learning. From the Greek myth of Athena to the statues on top of our library, the owls are used as the symbol of wisdom.

Some say that Benjamin Rush Rhees – University president from 1900-1935 – was a member of the Illuminati. The owl is one of the society’s top ten symbols and rumor has it, this may account for this symbol’s prevalence on campus.     

University Seal:

We are all familiar with the UR seal – stamped on our library, every envelope, official letter and campus sign. But until 1928, the seal was entirely different. It depicted a hand pointing left toward the sky – a symbol of hope that can also be seen on Azariah’s Boody’s grave and the George Eastman statue – and our motto, Meliora.

From 1851 to 1928, this seal was the symbol of our university. It was changed in 1928 to better reflect the changing character and values of UR. It was divided into three sections to represent the three divisions of our school: music, medicine and arts & sciences.

Philip Merz, who was in charge of designing the original river campus itself, designed the seal in 1928, two years before the River Campus was officially opened.

Classical Sculptures:

Two of the most notable classical sculptures on UR’s campus are located in front of Meliora Hall and on top of the stairs in Rush Rhees Library. The library is also a prime example of Greek Revival architecture, which was a hallmark of Upstate New York architecture in the 1920s and 30s.

This style was chosen for its elegance and collegiate air, and is also representative of our home here in northern New York.

The two statues at the top of the stairs in Rush Rhees match this theme. One is Athena, the goddess of wisdom, and the other represents industry, the backbone of the Rochester economy.

The statue was initially intended to be holding a camera in honor of George Eastman and all that his company did for the city, but Eastman himself opposed the concept. In the library on the old campus, there was also a statue symbolizing industry – it can now be found outside Meliora Hall.

Rocky the Yellowjacket:

Our university was not always represented by yellow jackets. In fact, it was not instated until 1925. There was a fair amount of debate as to what the mascot of UR should be, as the sports teams had always been referred to as the ‘The Yellows.’

That changed, however, when Howard Garnish, class of 1927, cheered on his football teammates by yelling, “Go you, Yellow Jackets!” As writer for the campus newspaper, Garnish published an article on Nov. 5., 1925 in support of the football team in its upcoming game. He signed off the article with, “Go to it you, Yellow Jackets! On to Rensselaer!”

According to the UR Library’s website, “In May, 1930, the nickname was considered by the Board of Control not to have a classical or traditional enough connotation, and a contest was held for a new name for the University of Rochester teams.” Suggested mascots included Goldbugs, Rivermen, Dandelions, Genesseans and Sailors. But when put to a vote, “Yellowjackets was by far the winner.”

Garnish’s initial cheer is now hanging on a banner in Wilson Commons to commemorate how our mascot Rocky was born.

Everhart is a member of the class of 2016.

CT Watches: Othello

The University of Rochester Theatre Program takes on a modern interpretation of Shakespeare’s “Othello” and does an excellent job of…

🔴 Gaza solidarity encampment: Live updates

The Campus Times is live tracking the Gaza solidarity encampment on Wilson Quad and the administrative response to it. Read our updates here.

The NBA’s MVP candidates

Against the Cleveland Cavaliers, center Nikola Jokić posted 26 points, 18 rebounds, and 16 assists in 35 minutes. That same…