Parsa Lotfi, Staff Photographer

On Saturday, Sept. 28, UR moved to 2-1 on the season with a 36-35 win over the Springfield College Pride. Just like the season opener, the ‘Jackets’ victory came down to the final seconds.

The first play of the game was a good omen for UR, as Springfield running back Joel Altavesta fumbled the ball. Though Springfield recovered the fumble, they lost nine yards and were forced to punt three plays later. The YellowJackets then managed to convert on fourth down with a nine-yard run by freshman running back Myles Allen. On the next play, however, Springfield defensive lineman Daniel King forced senior quarterback Dean Kennedy to fumble, resulting in a turnover. Springfield was able to turn this into a touchdown four plays later on a 39-yard scramble by quarterback Jonathan Marrero.

Despite Springfield drawing first blood, UR bounced back with three consecutive touchdowns. With five minutes left in the first quarter, a tough five-yard run by freshman running back Shane Saucier set up a first-and-goal situation, which freshman running back Nick Perpignan capitalized on with a five-yard run of his own, this time for the touchdown. The other two scores were a 24-yard run down the left sideline by senior quarterback Dean Kennedy and a 42-yard pass to sophomore quarterback Justin Redfern, who was lined up as a receiver, from Kennedy. Senior kicker Mark Torosian’s extra point attempt was no good after Redfern’s touchdown, a lost point that would be critical later in the game. Springfield managed to regain some momentum before the second half, though, as Marrero lobbed a 12-yard pass to wide receiver James Poggio with 20 seconds left in the half.

In the second half, Springfield was able to shift the momentum with an interception on the first drive of the third quarter. Marrero proceeded to pick up his second rushing touchdown on the day. Springfield then expanded on its 21-20 lead by picking up another rushing touchdown with 6:49 remaining in the third quarter, this time courtesy of fullback Keith Rodman. From this point, it would be 19 minutes before either team scored again.

The first play of the fourth quarter almost spelled doom for UR as Springfield nearly intercepted Kennedy for a second time on a poor throw from the UR quarterback. The YellowJackets were able pick things up and get back into the game after intercepting Marrero on a pass that bounced off Poggio and into the hands of senior cornerback Jordan Honjiyo with 7:05 remaining. The subsequent drive resulted in a UR touchdown picked up by Allen on a one-yard run. Senior wide receiver Willie Roberson then picked up the two-point conversion to tie it at 28-28

The Pride would not back down though, and Marrero responded by picking up his third rushing touchdown with less than a minute left to play, putting Springfield up 35-28.

The YellowJackets would have just one shot to tie it. After a few hard run plays, clutch completions, and helpful penalties, UR was within striking distance, the ball spotted at the 18-yard line with only enough time for one play. Kennedy, under pressure, rolled right and completed a pass to a leaping sophomore wide receiver Derek Wager as time expired. An extra point was all UR needed to push the game into overtime, but head coach Scott Greene decided to go for the win instead. With the game on the line, Allen converted the two-points on an off-tackle run to give the ‘Jackets an improbable last-second win.

UR next takes on St. Lawrence University on Oct. 5, the team’s third away game of the season.

Ondo is a member of the class of 2014.

The fear of rejection: an epidemic

Each rejection felt like a stab of “you’re not good enough,” and because of this fear, I missed out on so many opportunities to grow.

Shrimp fried rice?

Shrimp fried rice: an age-old mystery. Is it fried rice containing shrimp? Or is it fried rice made by shrimp?…

Seniors — save your data before it’s too late

Graduation is looming, which means it’s time for seniors to start thinking about what to do with all the files…