Starbucks stays open late to satisfy students

Alyssa Arre, Photo Editor

Closing time has changed for UR’s favorite coffee shop. The Starbucks inside Wilson Commons will now be open until 1 a.m. on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, beginning Thursday, March 21.

Dining services, Wilson Commons Student Activities, and the Students’ Association have worked together to see what was initially just a suggestion come to fruition.

“[The change] resulted from a single meeting with Dean [of the College Richard] Feldman, where Senate expressed that it wanted more late night weekend hangout spots,” SA President and senior Roshal Patel said. “We are really excited. While that’s great, there is a lot more that can be done to provide for more outlets for students on weekends.”

Feldman also acknowledged that this is a temporary fix.

“I am grateful to everyone in Dining Services and Student Activities who worked so quickly to make this change in Starbucks hours,” Feldman said. “I hope that this will be a helpful step toward improving the quality of night life on campus.”

Starbucks, which currently closes at midnight, hosts open mics on Friday nights and will look at the potential for hosting additional events in the future.

“What we want to know and will work to find out [is] whether students desire more programming or just want a place to hangout,” Associate Director of Wilson Commons Student Activities Laura Ballou said.

Starbucks’ longer hours may help answer that question.

Brady is a member of the class of 2015.

Bader-Gregory and Lopez to lead SA

Sophomore Elijah Bader-Gregory, current SA vice president, will serve as SA president next year after beating first-year Sammy Randle III…

ROC Players’ “Chicago” is Criminally Good

The rise to the spotlight is no easy journey, especially when you’ve got blood on your hands and a life…

RASA’s struggles highlight troublesome new club formation process

SA and Wilson Commons Student Activities (WCSA) endeavor to uphold the values of diversity and inclusion and to support students’ interests, but proposals for some new clubs have encountered difficulties on campus.