Julia Sklar, Presentation Editor

As midterms begin to dwindle down and finals appear on the horizon, students are granted a few short days of respite over Thanksgiving Break. For many, this means flocking home to see old friends and sitting down with family to overindulge in the likes of turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie, yet for others, the ability to return home is not an option.

Some students decide to stay in the Rochester area, knowing that within a month the semester will end and they will return home for Winter Break. Plus, it is often impractical for these students to travel long distances for a weekend or purchase bus, train or plane tickets to be with family, due to financial constraints.

Many students staying on campus have sought alternative plans to spend the holiday with a friend from the Rochester area. Sophomore Joanna Wallace explains that it does not make sense for her to go all the way home to Alaska just for Thanksgiving Break,  and plans to spend the holiday with her friend, sophomore Carrie DeMoulin.

“I will be able to spend time with a family when I am unable to be with mine,” Wallace explained.

Freshman Rachael Crowe finds it unnecessary to spend the money to return home to North Carolina for the weekend, and also plans to have Thanksgiving dinner at her roommate’s house since she lives in the Rochester area. She is optimistic that by spending the holiday with her roommate and other friends who are unable to return home she will still be able to relax before finals begin.

Other UR students have made a habit out of staying on campus or in the surrounding area over Thanksgiving Break. Senior Thanh Hoang of Texas has spent multiple Thanksgiving Breaks on campus and doesn’t think it’s as bad as it seems.

Having spent more than one holiday on campus, Hoang seemed unconcerned about finding plans, knowing that something will work itself out by next week.

“Hopefully there will be friends around as well,” she said

Over the break, not all of campus will be entirely shut down. Hillside Market, as well as Douglass Dining Hall, will continue to operate, but will be open on a limited basis. On Thanksgiving Day, UR Dining will offer a “to-go” lunch in Douglass.

Senior Jillian Taylor is unsure of her plans for Thanksgiving. Living in New York City, she hopes to get home for the holiday, yet is unsure if she will be able to find a way back in the next week and is hoping to come across a last-minute deal.

“You really should never have to pay $300 for a flight home,” she said.

The Student’s Association Projects & Services Committee is sponsoring free shuttles to and from the airport, as it has in recent years, allowing students who need to fly home to be with family and friends over the holiday to do so without worrying about a taxi fare. This will most likely be a welcome help for students like Taylor who wish to travel home cheaply.

Most international students are also unable to return home, so many seek alternate ways to enjoy the long weekend. Sophomore Mian Wei of China plans to travel to New York City with friends to shop and sightsee over the break.

“I can only go home about once a year, so there is no way for me to go home over Thanksgiving and then again over December break,” she said. “But at least we can Skype!”

UR undergraduates choose to utilize Thanksgiving Break as a way to relax, catch up on work and hang out with friends and family. While for some this includes returning home for the weekend, others have sought alternative ways to enjoy their time off from school. So, for those of you at home next Thursday, feeling the effects of the meal you just consumed as you watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, know that others will be enjoying the break as well, but in different ways.

As Wei puts it, “it really is just like another long weekend!”

Lerner is a member of
the class of 2016.

Making first impressions: Don’t get stuck in your head

Perhaps the only way to prevent yourself from sinking into that ocean of once-seen faces, to light a rescue beacon before it’s too late, is to do something remarkable.

The NBA’s MVP candidates

Against the Cleveland Cavaliers, center Nikola Jokić posted 26 points, 18 rebounds, and 16 assists in 35 minutes. That same…

SA Senate election won by everyone who ran

The executive race was the only competitive one in this spring’s SA election. Everyone who ran for senate positions —…