Drue Sokol, Photo Editor

The Speegle-Wilbraham Aquatic Center in the Robert B. Goergen Athletic Center reopened on Monday, Oct. 1 after several months of renovations and its drainage last March.

The most extensive improvement to the pool since it was built in 1980, the $3 million renovations included a resurfacing of the pool, renovations to the locker rooms and the installation of a state of the art filtration system.

The pool was originally slated to open on Aug. 1, but was delayed until this week.

UR Project Manager Michael Otto said that the delay was caused by having to change methods during the construction.

“The project specifications stipulated that the existing plaster finish be removed down to the concrete shell,” Otto said. “The original pool specialty subcontractor attempted to prep the concrete shell by sandblasting the plaster finish. This method did not meet the project requirements.”

According to Otto, the general contractor was forced to find an alternate pool specialty contractor as a result, which caused the two-month delay.

Aquatics Director Greg Brandes said he, along with the rest of his staff, is “very pleased” with the new renovations, which included the pool, locker rooms, filtration room, pool deck, sound system and balcony area.

When asked about the impact of the delay on the swim team, freshman Kelsey Lisbon said that “not having a pool was stressful, but we supported each other and worked together as a team to get to practices and go to the other schools in the area to swim.”

All pool and program hours, including recreation swimming, water polo, masters swimming and Varsity swim practice will remain the same as last year, according to Brandes.

Teitelman is a member of the class of 2016.

Fight the decline of declining

It’s that time of the semester again. Your Declining has declined to the point of no return.

The state of NCAA D-I basketball

The college basketball season is underway, and the standings are proving turbulent in accordance with the usual less-than-perfect preseason rankings.

Alum brings funky nothings

Funky Nothings is 2016 UR graduate and musical genius Gabriel Becker’s artist name. His music can only be found on SoundCloud, which adds to its rare allure.