Melissa Goldin, Editor-in-Chief

UR has joined the Davis United World College (UWC) Scholars Program, becoming one of over 90 universities throughout the country that are part of the organization.

The Davis UWC Scholars Program is “the world’s largest, privately funded, international scholarship program,” funding the educations of over 2,500 exceptional international students, according to its website.

The program promotes the goals of advanced education, global networking and the collaboration and engagement of all students at universities.

Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Jonathan Burdick said “it’s about time” that the University joined the program.

“We’re a lot like the schools who were already participating,” Burdick said. These schools include the likes of Harvard University, Johns Hopkins University and Cornell University.

The Davis UWC Scholars Program provides grants to its partner institutions at which UWC graduates, referred to as scholars, enroll. These scholars are chosen by committees in their home nations to attend one of 13 UWC schools for their last two years of high school. The schools are located in Bosnia Herzegovina, Canada, Costa Rica, Hong Kong, India, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Swaziland, the United Kingdom, the United States and Venezuela.

According to Burdick, UR had already developed good relationships with four of these 12 schools. Over the next two years, the Office of Admissions will work to visit and develop rapport with the other eight. Burdick already has plans for trips to the campuses in Swaziland and Canada.

Burdick expressed excitement about the partnership.

“We’ve had an expansion of extremely well-qualified international students,” he said.

Being a member of the program will continue to grow this pool of applicants. Burdick is confident that UR will be able to attract scholars from the UWC, though it may take some time.

“We’re hoping to have maybe two Davis scholars next year,” he said, adding that UR will matriculate at least five scholars per year in the future.

Hansler is a member of the class of 2015.

Wechsler contributes to success in as many ways as possible

Junior pitcher and third basewoman Eleni Wechsler achieved three wins last week along with going a combined 4–6 at the plate against Clarkson on April 17.

Poking fun at the news: Easter Bunny brawl, Yoda, and the U.S. Navy

While playing in a game, English soccer player Callum Camps was notified by the PA announcer that his car lights were on. Camps said he didn’t turn his lights off—because he couldn’t use his hands.

Small World in the shadows

Small World Food, a worker-cooperative food producer, has been selling their goods at local farmers markets for years, but only recently did it open a retail location, where the small customer base has been a major boon for the emerging business.