Junne Park, Photo Editor

Disaster struck as No. 9 St. Lawrence University (SLU)  engineered a shocking comeback against No. 6 UR at Fauver Stadium on Friday, Sept.  7.

The scoring started in the 20th minute when sophomore attacker Alex Swanger broke free on a breakaway and put the ball past SLU goalkeeper Nate Goss-Woliner. Seconds later, however, as play was about to restart, lightning struck near the field, forcing the teams to clear the playing area.

Eighty-eight minutes later when play resumed, neither team was able to gather much offense and the half ended with UR enjoying a 1-0 lead.

Just six minutes into the second half, Swanger once again broke free and scored, giving the Yellowjackets a 2-0 lead. SLU rebounded quickly, as just ten minutes later midfielder Sam Demello took a goal kick from Goss-Woliner and tapped it over UR senior goalie Scott Garfing for a goal. Only twelve minutes after that, SLU’s Alex Laird scored, evening the score at two.

Play continued with neither team dominating possession as these two highly ranked squads remained in a deadlock. Finally, with 36 seconds left in the game, midfielder Mark Provost of SLU fed a pass to midfielder Ryan Grant who got just enough of the ball to chip past the diving Garfing, giving SLU the 3-2 lead and the eventual victory. With the win, SLU went to 3-0, while UR dropped to 2-1.

UR faced Clarkson University on Saturday, Sept. 8 as they tried to rebound from their devastating loss the day before against SLU. Sophomore defender Seth Davis-Brown scored a remarkable goal in the 40th minute, heading in the ball following a scramble in the goalie box. That was the only goal of the match, which ended with a 1-0 win for the Yellowjackets. With the victory, UR improved to 3-1.

The men’s soccer team will try to continue its hot start on Saturday, Sept. 15 at home against Hobart College.

Davis is a member of the class of 2016. 

For Kaczegowicz, a life without softball is unimaginable

Sophomore catcher Harleigh Kaczegowicz of UR Softball was recently named the Liberty League Performer of the Week and had a…

Status of Greek, club sports, a cappella groups uncertain with ACJC ruling

The ruling stemmed from an April 21 appeal by several students that alleged Greek organizations, a capella groups, and club sports teams discriminate by gender and therefore violate the SA Constitution.

Leading on campus, SA or otherwise

There's many ways to get involved outside of SA so let's take the initiative to do so.