Drue Sokol, Photo Editor

A young and talented lineup appears poised to steer the women’s field hockey team this season, as an entourage of younger students paved the way for UR’s perfect start to the 2012 campaign over the weekend — one that saw the Yellowjackets outscore a pair of opponents by a combined 11-0 margin.

The women opened play in Syracuse on Saturday, Sept. 2, squaring off against Kenyon College. The Yellowjackets made quick, decisive work of the outmatched out-of-staters, and expelled the Ladies, 5-0.

Freshman forward Michelle Relin ignited the Yellowjackets’ high-powered offense with a goal 14:12 in, accepting a pass from senior Sarah Dixon’s penalty corner and sliding the ball by Kenyon goalkeeper Alex Britt. Britt couldn’t seem to catch a break, as her team ended up on the meager side of a 35-3 shooting drought.

The game remained a one-point differential until almost halftime, when with 37 seconds remaining sophomore midfielder Megan Keil notched her first goal of the season.

The Yellowjackets broke open the second half by tacking on two more goals in less than two minutes — one each from Relin and Keil — while sophomore  forward Maura O’Conor wrapped up UR’s offensive field day by scoring from right in front of the cage, 66:51 in. Relin was later named the Liberty League Rookie of the Week for her outstanding performance.

On the defensive side of things, junior keeper Madison Wagner was a solid presence in goal, turning away all of the Ladies’ attempts to turn the game around.

Not to be upstaged by their younger counterparts, the junior class took command of the home opener against SUNY Oswego on Sunday, Sept. 2. Junior midfielder Katie Flaschner tallied two scores for the Yellowjackets, while classmate Lindsey Randall finished with one unassisted goal and a pair of assists.

Sophomore midfielder  Belle Hoagland found the back of the net with the help of Randall’s pass 10:17 into the game. Randall followed suit less than three minutes later, and Flaschner converted Keil’s lob into a goal  in the top corner of the net.

The home team redoubled its efforts and doubled its scoring total in the second half, as Hall, Flaschner and Keil put the game away with three unanswered goals. Wagner and freshman goalkeeper Tara Lamberti teamed to shut out Oswego.

The ’Jackets host SUNY Geneseo this Friday, Sept. 7 and SUNY Oneonta the following Sunday, Sept. 9.

Bernstein is a member of the class of 2014.

GOP says: Ban schools

This past Friday, GOP lawmakers announced a party-wide initiative to end school shootings by banning schools.

A sober look at mass shootings

Gun control has been in the news for the last few weeks because of the Parkland shooting, but there’s been a lack of critical analysis on what gun control would and wouldn’t accomplish, and what would really need to be done to stop mass shootings.

UR Symphony Orchestra tackles immigration

UR Symphony Orchestra’s concert last Saturday wore its message on its sleeve. As emphasized in a speech by director and…