Drue Sokol, Photo Editor

A young and talented lineup appears poised to steer the women’s field hockey team this season, as an entourage of younger students paved the way for UR’s perfect start to the 2012 campaign over the weekend — one that saw the Yellowjackets outscore a pair of opponents by a combined 11-0 margin.

The women opened play in Syracuse on Saturday, Sept. 2, squaring off against Kenyon College. The Yellowjackets made quick, decisive work of the outmatched out-of-staters, and expelled the Ladies, 5-0.

Freshman forward Michelle Relin ignited the Yellowjackets’ high-powered offense with a goal 14:12 in, accepting a pass from senior Sarah Dixon’s penalty corner and sliding the ball by Kenyon goalkeeper Alex Britt. Britt couldn’t seem to catch a break, as her team ended up on the meager side of a 35-3 shooting drought.

The game remained a one-point differential until almost halftime, when with 37 seconds remaining sophomore midfielder Megan Keil notched her first goal of the season.

The Yellowjackets broke open the second half by tacking on two more goals in less than two minutes — one each from Relin and Keil — while sophomore  forward Maura O’Conor wrapped up UR’s offensive field day by scoring from right in front of the cage, 66:51 in. Relin was later named the Liberty League Rookie of the Week for her outstanding performance.

On the defensive side of things, junior keeper Madison Wagner was a solid presence in goal, turning away all of the Ladies’ attempts to turn the game around.

Not to be upstaged by their younger counterparts, the junior class took command of the home opener against SUNY Oswego on Sunday, Sept. 2. Junior midfielder Katie Flaschner tallied two scores for the Yellowjackets, while classmate Lindsey Randall finished with one unassisted goal and a pair of assists.

Sophomore midfielder  Belle Hoagland found the back of the net with the help of Randall’s pass 10:17 into the game. Randall followed suit less than three minutes later, and Flaschner converted Keil’s lob into a goal  in the top corner of the net.

The home team redoubled its efforts and doubled its scoring total in the second half, as Hall, Flaschner and Keil put the game away with three unanswered goals. Wagner and freshman goalkeeper Tara Lamberti teamed to shut out Oswego.

The ’Jackets host SUNY Geneseo this Friday, Sept. 7 and SUNY Oneonta the following Sunday, Sept. 9.

Bernstein is a member of the class of 2014.

A call for decorum in the DPS gun debate

These people are not stupid. They are not out to bilk students out of their money, to make them feel unsafe, or to operate in secrecy in order to sneak possibly objectionable measures under their noses.

UR Women’s crew named Boat of the Week

UR Women’s Rowing (URWR) finished their regular season strong with a victory at the Kerr Cup Regatta in Philadelphia on Sunday.

Decadence and depravity in Trump’s Rochester

And there was a great cry in Rochester, such as there has not been before and such as shall never be again, as He ambles to the podium in an ankle-length black coat, clad in a red power tie. He’s more orange than you’d expect, and His hair is more blonde, too.