Smoke was spotted on the first floor of the Delta Upsilon Fraternity House on Wednesday, Feb. 16. Shermaine Singh - Staff Photographer

1. A UR  Security officer on patrol entered the Delta Upsilon Fraternity House at 4:49 a.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 16, to discover the entire first floor area of the house engulfed in a haze of smoke. A fire alarm was pulled and the Rochester Fire Department  responded to the scene. They determined the source of the smoke to be smoldering grease in the grease trap of the basement kitchen.
According to UR Security Investigator Daniel Lafferty, the area was ventilated and the system was reset after the all clear was given by the fire  department. The house manager was instructed to have the grease trap cleaned out.

After party to be held in hospital

2. At 12:34 a.m. on Sunday, Feb. 13, a Security officer was flagged down near the footbridge on Wilson Blvd. According to Lafferty, the individual, who identified himself as a student, asked for a ride to the emergency department of Strong Hospital because he was experiencing chest pains. He was sent to Strong without incident. The student admitted to having consumed 12 or more shots of alcohol at an off-campus party.

Hi-tech items stolen from Wilder suite

3.  A student residing on the seventh floor of Wilder reported that an unidentified supect had entered his unlocked suite and stolen an Xbox gaming unit, a hard drive and numerous games. According to Lafferty, the incident occurred between 2 and 7:30 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 11, while the victim was asleep. An ottoman, which held the items, was also stolen from the common room of the suite. The victim filed a police report at a later time.

Smoke cloud reported at Eastman

4. Officers responded to the mezzanine level bridge between the Eastman  School of  Music and the annex building after receiving reports of smoke haze in the area.
According to Lafferty, they confirmed the haze and detected a burning odor, after which the fire alarm was pulled. The fire department and the facilities staff arrived at the area.
At the scene, they determined the source of the haze to be dust on a recently repaired floor heating unit. Power to the affected unit was shut off until it could be checked further. The all clear was given by the fire department and the fire system was reset. No damages were reported.

Mischief at Panda Express

5. At 10:43 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 9, a student reported a stolen ID card from the Panda Express counter in Wilson Commons. According to Lafferty, the student had placed the card on the counter while being served, after which they noticed it was missing. The ID card was deactivated.

Lim is a member of
the class of 2014.
Information provided
by UR Security.



The worst weight-loss advice

You shouldn’t need to go on an extreme diet just to lose weight or feel good about yourself, and a lot of weight-loss advice on the Internet can actually be really toxic — or just flat-out stupid.

From the Archives: LOGOS and Campus Times finally bury the hatchet

Dan Kimmel says that, in addition to finding an audience and an identity, LOGOS helped him find his voice.

The Kingdom of Sweets comes to Rochester

A classic holiday traditiion for many families, this showing of "The Nutcracker" was a collaborative effort between various organizations in the community.