1. At 3:41 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 28, Security officers responded to the Sigma Chi Fraternity House when one of the brothers reported a natural gas odor in the kitchen. Officers verified the odor and ventilated the area by opening doors and windows.
The Rochester Fire Department responded and identified the cause as a pilot light on one of the burners that had gone out. Facilities shut off the gas to the house until RG&E could dub it safe. No damages or injuries were reported.
Bow hunter trespasses
2. A bow hunter entering the wooded area behind the Laboratory for Laser Energetics was observed by a security officer on patrol at 11:16 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 26. Brighton Police were notified and responded. Four non-affiliated individuals came out of the woods and met with Brighton Police and UR Security officers.
They said they were not aware that they were on private property. They were warned/advised and departed the area without incident.
Bookbag stolen that held laptop, books, keys and I.D.
3. On Saturday, Nov. 13, a student’s book bag that had her laptop computer, textbooks, notebooks, room keys and I.D. was stolen. The theft occurred in the hall outside the Aquatic Center in the Goergen Athletic Complex between 1:30 and 3 p.m. while the victim attended a swim meet.
Security was notified later that evening that the bag had been found outside Gilbert Hall on the sidewalk facing Faculty Road. The victim’s textbooks, notebooks and binders were in the bag.
Individual caught entering closed Eastman building
4. At 3:36 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 25, an officer at the Eastman School of Music observed an individual entering the closed school via CCTV. The individual was located, identified and found to have no affiliation with the University.
He claimed to have been allowed into the facility by a faculty member so as to practice with other students. The individual was advised that the facility was closed, and he departed without incident.
Noises heard from closed Fraternity house
5. An officer on patrol heard voices coming from the basement of the Theta Chi Fraternity House at 11:21 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 24. The house had been closed for the holiday period.
Officers entered the house and located a student who claimed to be a pledge of the Fraternity and was showing a couple of friends around the house. All three individuals were identified and two were found to have no UR affiliation. They were warned/advised and escorted out.
Man seen rummaging through Southside dumpster
6. Officers observed an individual going through the dumpster outside Valentine Tower at 10:47 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 16. The person was identified and found to have no UR affiliation. He was warned/advised and departed the property without incident.
Ostrander is a member of the class of 2013.
Information provided by UR Security.